Fort Sill Indian School added to Register in 1973
Location: East edge of Lawrie Tatum Drive in Lawton city limits.
On National Register Since: October 1973
The Fort Sill Indian School (Building 309) was part of a complex of structures consisting of classrooms, dormitories and an auditorium/gymnasium.
Construction of Building 309 began in June 1904 with completion scheduled for December 1904 at a cost of $9,951. The walls of this 40’ x 62’ structure were native limestone. It had two floors over a full basement topped by an attic. Floors, partitions and roof framing were of wood, and the roof was made of interlocking painted metal shingles. Used as the girls’ dormitory at the time and unlike the other buildings in the complex, it had indoor plumbing, steam heat and electric lighting.